Our latest research report Technology and Social Media (PDF, 1.1MB) highlighted the use of technology and social media. Published April 2017. In particular:
- The most popular use for social media is to access news (53%), followed by uploading photos or videos (47%).
- Over two thirds (69%) agree that they like to stay connected when on holiday. Three quarters agree that their smartphone is essential when they travel, and 56% say the same for their tablets.
- The majority of international travellers (61%) have shared photos of a holiday online, and 42% have done the same for video.
- Whilst on holiday, social media is most often used to keep in touch with home, followed by posting or uploading photos.
- Whilst many are happy to use their smartphones abroad, an overwhelming proportion (83%) still wish that it was cheaper.
Furthermore in 2015, we commissioned a separate research project focused on holiday visitors in the USA, Germany, India and South Korea found that overall 89% of those surveyed had used social media at some stage of their holiday.
India took the number one spot with 98% of those surveyed having used social media during their holiday planning and once returning home; 95% in South Korea; 84% in the USA and 77% in Germany.
Almost 70% of all respondents said content posted online by friends made them want to visit a destination. The influence of photos was highest in India where 81% agreed that seeing their friends’ travel photos made them want to visit the same place – followed closely by South Korea (76%) and the USA (68%).
When it comes to choosing Britain as a holiday destination, the research found that social media plays a key role in the decision-making process with Facebook the main go-to source for respondents in all stages of the holiday-making process – particularly when deciding to visit Britain (44%). Meanwhile Twitter was most commonly used for seeking suggestions and advice while on holiday and Instagram was used most by people wanting to plan their trip or share their experiences – though to a lesser extent than the other platforms. Read the full report (PDF, 3.1MB) to find out more. Published November 2015.
Use our know-how to find out how your business can broaden its digital reach by getting social.
With over 2 billion monthly active users, Facebook is one of the most popular social networking sites, and its fastest growing demographic is the 45-54 age bracket.
- Post updates, offers and competitions for your customers
- Share relevant, fun daily updates, photos and video clips to keep your content fresh and engaging
- Interact with customers and respond to feedback
Connect with VisitBritain on Facebook – join our ever-growing community of over 3.3 million followers.
With 328 million active monthly users, Twitter is one of the most popular social networking sites. It enables users to send 140-character tweets to connect with consumer and trade audiences.
- Build travel industry contacts
- Share updates and relevant quirky facts with consumers in real time
- Stay up-to-date with industry news
- Don’t forget to mention us on Twitter if you have any product updates. With nearly 370K followers @VisitBritain is officially one of the most influential tourist boards in the world on Twitter. Also, you can keep up-to-date with industry news by following @VisitBritainBiz
A video-sharing site with over 1 billion active monthly users, YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world after Google.
- Create quality short videos to showcase your product or tour to consumers
- Capture unusual elements of your guest experience to inspire viewers to visit
- Use keywords in the title of your video to help people find it through search
Explore GREAT Britain on YouTube – to see how we’re showcasing Britain as the world’s leading destination.
All users with a Google account are automatically given a Google+ account, the social network created by Google.
- Share updates and images with consumers on your company page
- Signpost customers to your website and YouTube content
- Help drive up your search engine rankings
Connect with us on Google+ – join our community of 140,000 followers for updates showcasing all the things that make Britain a GREAT place to visit.
Pinterest has more than 150 million monthly active users.
A virtual pinboard, Pinterest allows users to post and share interesting, inspiring images on particular themes, such as travel destinations.
- Set up a business page to visually represent your product or region to consumers
- Capture people’s interest with creative, unusual images
- Create themed boards using high quality images from a range of sources
Follow Love GREAT Britain on Pinterest – we’ll follow you back and repin your pins on our boards where applicable, helping your business get noticed by our 30,370 followers.
Instagram has over 500 million active monthly users.
A fast-growing social media network, Instagram allows users to share photos and videos.
- Communicate your offering to consumers through photos and 15 second video clips
- Share snapshots of your product or region in real time
- Use fun, original images to keep your content engaging
Discover us on Instagram where we communicate with our 361k followers – working with industry and government departments and agencies that promote Britain overseas we’re creating and sharing original, informative, inspiring content. We have
A business-to-business social networking site, LinkedIn has 467 million members.
- Network business-to-business with travel industry colleagues and leaders
- Share relevant blog posts and articles, positioning your business as an expert in its field
- Join relevant groups to take part in discussions, exchange knowledge and share tips
Follow our LinkedIn VisitBritain company page.
Weibo and WeChat
China has the highest number of internet users in the world and social media is a highly influential medium in the country. However, due to government restrictions, many popular western social media sites aren’t available in China. Sina Weibo has over 222 million monthly active users. Similar to Twitter, it allows users to post 140-Chinese character messages. WeChat, called Weixin in China, is a chat app similar to WhatsApp, with around 963 million active users.
- Share messages, videos and photos with consumers
- Interact by posting and responding to comments
- Build connections with Chinese consumers – 95% of Chinese customers trust a company more that is engaged and active on Weibo (Digital Index)
Find VisitBritain on Weibo – join a community to reach over 660,000 fans.
Search our marketing opportunities for more ways to boost your business’s online presence.